In this era of fitness everyone wants to lose weight. But do you know while losing weight we could be lowering our metabolism. How? By constantly trying to eat less. I wish to tell this information to all of you struggling out there with weight issues work to work on your metabolism instead and to correct the word from “weight loss” to “being lighter”.
In fact, making an affirmation to “feel lighter” is a much better way to think about this rather than “trying to lose weight”. Because weight is just a number for how much stress you have inside your head and how much heaviness you carry. When you think in terms of “feeling lighter” you will not feel that pressure and it is a much more positive statement.
Now how in the world do we end up eating more than required?
There is a funny story of a goat who was thin and his owner wanted him to put on some weight. The owner wanted his goat to eat more grass but the goat never did. So the owner one day decided to not to feed the goat for a day. The next day when he fed him, he saw that the goat ate double the amount of the grass!! So the owner realized that by making the goat diet for a day he could make the goat eat two times the grass as normal and eventually the goat gained double the weight!!
Many people are like the goat in the above story. Trying to eat less and cut down their diets. But all they end up doing after the period of dieting is eating more than before, just as the goat did! This approach lowers your body’s metabolism. On the surface it may look like you are losing weight but what happens in reality is that you end up feeling a lot more duller and tired. Being tired is not good as we know life puts up with various challenges for which we need energy.
So is there a better way to approach this problem? How does then one lose weight? Is it bad to lose weight?
It’s good to lose weight but with the right mindset and intention
The right intention being increasing your metabolism while you let go of the extra kilos you have. Right mindset means visualizing yourself lighter and happier everyday, building right connection with food. Ayurveda has the right advice for everyone and this ancient wisdom helps you understand your body much better than any other system would.
A good metabolism is an indicator of a healthy body.
If we were to increase our metabolism instead of cutting down on our diet, the whole process of losing weight would become a lot more easier, fun, enjoyable and realistic.
Signs of healthy metabolism
- One of surest signs of a healthy metabolism is regular sweating.
- Feeling thirsty.
- You lose weight at a normal pace.
- You have energy and vitality
- Good immunity system
Weight loss without proper understanding can destroy all of this.
How do you know if your metabolism is low?
- If you are not sweating or don’t feel thirsty then your metabolism is low.
- Food products such as milk and milk products, meat and heavy cereals lower your metabolism.
- When you feel very tired your body naturally lowers it’s metabolism to survive the tired days.
- When you have too many things spinning in your head your body will lower it’s metabolism to cope up.
- One of the other reasons for low metabolism in women is a thyroid (or other hormonal) imbalance.
How to increase your metabolism?
- By reducing the salt intake in your diet and cutting down on processed foods.
- Ayurveda also offers certain herbs which can help you to increase your metabolism.
- Spices, beans and vegetables increase your metabolism
- You can also gradually increase your activity levels and do things that you enjoy such as trek, walk, or do Yoga.
- It is extremely important to remember that do NOT overstretch your capacity. Do NOT push yourself too hard to exercise.
- Do what feels fun, enjoyable and comfortable with an UNDERSTANDING about what you are doing. Do what feels RIGHT.
- There is no generic rule for “which” activity or “how much” activity is right. It all depends and differs from individual to individual and you have to find what works the best for you.
- Eat regular meals
VISUALIZE for the right mindset
- Get up each morning and visualize LIGHTNESS and it will come to you.
- Go for a 20 minutes walk in the morning and teach your mind to concentrate on this happening.
- It’s about connecting the dots and designing a healthy lifestyle that suits your needs.
You don’t need to sacrifice your wishes, but rather just ensure that your wishes are ALIGNED with you.
When you increase your metabolism, losing weight will automatically happen and you will feel lighter – both in your mind and body. The energy supply to your body will increase and you will begin to see a glow on your face.
We will soon launch our new course Ayurvedic Consultant Online Course – Level 1 (Sixth Edition) on 8th April which will give you many such tips for your health.
Self help is the medicine of future which starts with understanding yourself rather than judging yourself.
For more information about the course please click here
Dr. Shivani Sood
Founder Of Shivani Ayurveda
Dr Shivani is an inspiring woman who trusts in the power of being a female and enjoying the different realms which it brings. She loves to be a woman, mother, wife, daughter, sister, and is able to harmonize it with being full-time Ayurvedic Doctor of her own style, very different from the league. She has traveled extensively all around the world and held workshops and consulted many people since 2006.
Course of career
She helps treat physical and emotional ailments through the power of Ayurveda and also brings the knowledge of Ayurveda to the common person in a easy to understand manner. She offers consultations, courses and Ayurvedic treatments online as well as in her clinic in North India, Dharamshala, which is also home of HH Dalai Lama. To read more about her, please click here